If you’re looking for some inspiration for your travels, then let’s take a look at Uruguay. More specifically, let’s take a look at Punta del Este.
Punta is one of South America’s most glamorous beach-resort destinations – this sun-drenched peninsula offers stunning beaches, elegant seaside homes, a harbour for your yacht, high-end hotels, and all the bars, restaurants, and clubs that you could possibly ask for.
This is where the stylish Brazilian and Argentine jet-set come to blow off some steam, rub shoulders with celebrities, and work on their tans.
When to go
- Late December to February is peak time for South American travellers to visit Punta del Este, but if you want to enjoy the beaches when it’s a bit quieter, then you’re best option is October to December.
How to get there
- The capital of Uruguay – and main point of entry for international travellers – is Montevideo. From Montevideo, Punta del Este is about a two-hour drive.
- There is also an airport at Punta del Este, so you may be able to get a connecting flight to the peninsula.
- Another option is to take the ferry from Buenos Aires to Punta del Este – this takes about three hours.
Where to stay
- The Grand Hotel: Right on Brava Beach this will have you waking up to spectacular ocean views.
- Kalá Hotel Boutique: A six-minute walk from Montoya Beach, or you can just soak up the rays beside their outdoor pool.
- Margherita Chacra Hotel: A colonial-style property with an outdoor pool set within lush gardens.
- While there’s not really any queer-specific bars or clubs on Punta del Este, it’s still a hugely popular destination for queer travellers.
- In terms of beaches, Playa Chihuahua is where the boys are – a large section of this beach is clothing-optional. Chihuahua is about 20 minutes away by car from the main beaches of Playa Brava and Playa Mansa, and offers a great escape from the frenetic shopping and tourist activity of Punta.
- Also at Playa Chihuahau is where you’ll find Undarius Hotel – a clothing-optional accommodation option for gay men.