Don Lemon tells it like it is
Don Lemon is one of the mainstays of CNN News.
Here’s a quick look at the man and his career.
- 1 March 1966
- Growing up in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Lemon was educated at Baker High School.
- Attending Brooklyn College in Brookly, Lemon majored in broadcast journalism.
- During his college years, Lemon worked as a news assistant at WNYW in New York City.
- Early journalism roles included WBRC in Alabama, WCAU in Philadelphia, and KTVI in St Louis, before joining NBC.
- Lemon moved across to CNN in 2006, where his career has continued to progress — making him one of the most prominent gay journalists in American news.
“This is CNN Tonight, I’m Don Lemon. The President of the United States is racist.” — Don Lemon, opening his news broadcast, 11th January 2018.
- In his memoir, released in 2011, Lemon revealed that he had been the victim of sexual abuse as a child.
- Lemon had first revealed this publicly during a news interview on CNN in 2010:
“You want me to tell you what got my attention about this? And I’ve never admitted this on television: I am a victim of a paedophile when I was a kid — someone who was much older than me.” — Don Lemon, September 2010.
- Lemon introduced his partner Tim Malone to the world live on air during CNN’s New Year’s Eve broadcast on 1 July 2018.
— Jillian Sederholm (@JillianSed) January 1, 2018
- Following the broadcast, Lemon clarified that while Malone had been at the bar for the broadcast the year earlier, they were already dating at that point.
- In July 2018, Lemon and his partner adopted a dog from Southampton Animal Shelter. The dog’s name is Boomer and since joining the family has featured heavily in Lemon’s Instagram.