Drag Race Brazil, Episode 4: The Recap
Racers, start your engines, Drag Race Brazil is underway!
Are you up to speed?
This week’s challenge was the Reading Challenge.
This is a fundamental element of the Drag Race franchise but it’s getting harder and harder to come up with original reads that are funny. No one really managed it this time around – it all got a bit personal.
The main challenge
It’s the unconventional materials sewing challenge!
Using a lot of beach stuff, the theme was mermaids.
Not easy by any stretch of the imagination, but not unexpected. This is the kind of challenge that you can do some preparation for – even if you’re not a seamstress.
There were some really strong looks in this design challenge – no total disasters.
- Aquarela: Apparently, this was the first look that Aquarela has ever made herself. The results all looked a bit rough around the edges, but she got it done.
- Betina Polaroid: Betina went with an 80s theme. It didn’t really give mermaid and it felt a bit hodge-podge.
- Dallas de Vil: Dallas didn’t look confident in her silver creation. She doesn’t seem to have the level of delusion required to survive this format.
- Hellena Malditta: Stunning. Although it was pretty much just fabric – not really unconventional materials – it was a gorgeous look that was red-carpet ready.
- Melusine Sparkle: I really liked what Melusine created – she gave us Ursula as Ariel. The trouble was that she couldn’t walk in the skirt she’d created.
- Miranda Lebrão: A really clever look from Miranda – showcasing plastic but in a very put-together kind of way.
- Naza: Naza gave us Triton. It was a cohesive look but it was a bit of a diaper-pant.
- Organzza: This was pretty basic from Organzza – I didn’t see a lot of sewing, but there was a puffer jacket.
- Rubi Ocean: This looked better when it was moving than when she was standing still, but the construction of this was really impressive – it was very Shape of Water.
- Shannon Skarllet: Shannon looked pretty – she’d created a sea-side look that didn’t require a lot of sewing.
Safe were Organzza, Betina, Miranda, and Shannon. That seemed harsh on Miranda but also a lucky escape for Organzza and Betina.
In the top were Hellena, Rubi, and Naza. I’d have had Miranda in the top over Naza.
In the Bottom were Melusine, Dallas, and Aquarela. That seemed harsh on Melusine. I’d probably have swapped out Melusine for Betina.
Hellena was declared the winner, which was the obvious choice, but then Naza was also declared the winner. That seems generous.
Dallas was declared safe, leaving us with a bottom two of Melusine and Aquarela. Disappointing for Melusine.
The track was Chequi by Ludmilla.
This is a fun track but it’s a lot of words and tricky to channel the energy of the song.
Aquarela grabbed the track by the balls and went for it – just delivering it with a lot of enthusiasm.
Melusine took a slightly different approach – she seemed more confident and in control of the stage, but she took off her top and kicked off her shows. I guess she did this so she could serve some stunts – which she did. Melusine is a gorgeous boy, but it did seem to kind of undermine the illusion of what we were looking for on stage.
You could have argued this either way but it was Aquarela that was safe, sending Melusine home. Disappointing result for Melusine.
Episode 4, done!
Current Ranking: Aquarela is interesting – very visual and very conceptual. It will be interesting to see how she adapts to the different challenges this competition is going to throw at her. She’s survived the sewing challenge and a lip-sync, but it feels like it’s going to be an uphill struggle from here.
Current Ranking: An experienced queen, Betina landed in the Bottom 2 for the first elimination. She survived it, but it leaves her very vulnerable.
Dallas de Vil
Current Ranking: Dallas survived the lip-sync in Episode 3 and was back in the Bottom 3 for Episode 4. It feels like we’ve reached the end of the road for Dallas in this competition.
Current Ranking: Hellena is a total look-queen. Winning the sewing challenge of Episode 4 was clearly a big moment for her. Will that be the high-point of her run in this competition? Probably.
Current Ranking: It’s been a roller-coaster so far for Miranda, but it feels like she’s starting to find her feet. I really like Miranda and I want her to stick around.
Current Ranking: I really like Naza – she’s had a very strong start to the competition. She seems like she’s having a good time, whatever she’s doing.
Current Ranking: Organzza has had a great start to this competition – winning the first two challenges and setting herself up as the clear frontrunner.
Current Ranking: I really like Rubi – she gives good TV but she’s going to need to step it up if she’s going to go much further in this competition.
Current Ranking: Shannon is a really strong and vibrant presence in this show – she’s giving frontrunner energy.
Final Ranking: I really like Melusine – she’s got a great presence on camera and she’s clearly a confident performer who can serve great looks. Perhaps she didn’t quite have the experience required to be a force in this competition – eliminated in Episode 4, beaten by Aquarela in the lip-sync.
Final Ranking: Tristan is a bearded queen. She’s seems to be quite conceptual but a bit messy. The acting challenge of Episode 3 was her undoing, beaten in the lip-sync by Dallas.
Final Ranking: I really like what we got to see of Diva, she’s likeable and engaging on camera. However, her performance in the video wasn’t strong and her cow runway looked a bit sad. She landed in the Bottom 2 for the split-premiere and was beaten in the lip-sync by Betina.