Nicola Formichetti is fashion forward
A quick look at Nicola Formichetti - the clothes and the man who created the Nicopanda label.
- 31 May 1977.
- The son of a Japanese stewardess and an Italian pilot, Formichetti was born in Japan and grew up in Rome and Tokyo.
- Formichetti moved to London to study architecture, but got his break while working in a fashion boutique where he met the fashion editor of Dazed & Confused.
- Beginning as a columnist with Dazed & Confused, Formichetti was promoted to become the magazine’s fashion director in 2005, then became creative director in 2008.
- In 2011 Formichetti opened a pop-up store in New York City to showcase his Nicopanda line of clothing. The name is drawn from Formichetti’s childhood nickname, he apparently resembled an Asian bear.
The Gaga Connection
- Formichetti began collaborating with Lady Gaga in 2009 - initially styling her for photoshoots, progressing to become her fashion director for important performances, appearances, and video shoots.
- Video shoots styled by Formichetti include Telephone, Alejandro, and Born This Way.
The Age of Aquaria
- Aquaria, the winner of Season 10 of RuPaul’s Drag Race, seems to be the latest muse inspiring Formichetti. Aquaria has fronted the campaign for the line of gender-free make-up that Nicopanda created with MAC, and generally seems to be embodying the Nicopanda style and attitude.